Faculty and Researchers
Achiba GarguleResearch Coordinator Working with Feinstein Since: 2022
Based in: Nairobi, Kenya
Achiba Gargule is the Longitudinal Research Coordinator for the USAID Nutrition in ASALs Within Integrated Resilient Institutions (Nawiri) Project in Kenya. Funded by USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance, the Project is a five-year, evidence-based development project in four of Kenya’s northern counties. Catholic Relief Services (CRS) leads a consortium of partners in Isiolo and Marsabit Counties, and Feinstein provides research and capacity-building support to CRS.
Achiba’s research focuses on the transformation of African pastoral systems, specializing in how pastoralists adapt to changing ecological, political, and institutional conditions that affect their lives and livelihoods. Before joining Feinstein, Achiba worked as a researcher and an advisor to academic centers, international NGOs, and government agencies, where his research covered natural resources governance, communal tenure reforms, pastoralism policy advocacy, and devolution and land administration in the ASALs — with research experience in Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Uganda.
Achiba holds a Ph.D. in Geography and Sustainable Development from the University of Bern (Switzerland), an M.A. in International Political Economy from Newcastle University (U.K.), and a B.A. in Land Economics from the University of Nairobi, Kenya. Achiba lives in Nairobi, Kenya, with his wife and three children.
- Pastoral systems (East Africa)
- Communal tenure
- Natural resources governance
- East Africa
- the Horn of Africa
- Boone, Catherine, Alex Dyzenhaus, Ambreena Manji, Catherine W. Gateri, Seth Ouma, James Kabugu Owino, Achiba Gargule, and Jacqueline M. Klopp. “Land law reform in Kenya: Devolution, veto players, and the limits of an institutional fix.” African affairs 118, no. 471 (2019): 215-237.
- Achiba, Gargule A. “Navigating contested winds: Development visions and anti-politics of wind energy in northern Kenya.” Land 8, no. 1 (2019): 7.
- Achiba, Gargule Andrew. “Managing livelihood risks: Income diversification and the livelihood strategies of households in pastoral settlements in Isiolo County, Kenya.” Pastoralism 8, no. 1 (2018): 20.
- Boone, Catherine, Alex Dyzenhaus, Seth Ouma, James Kabugu Owino, Catherine W. Gateri, Achiba Gargule, Jackie Klopp, and Ambreena Manji. Land politics under Kenya’s new constitution: counties, devolution, and the National Land Commission. No. 16-178. Working Paper Series, 2016.
- Achiba, Gargule A., and Monica N. Lengoiboni. “Devolution and the politics of communal tenure reform in Kenya.” African Affairs 119, no. 476 (2020): 338-369.
As part of the Nawiri program in Kenya, Helen Young, Elizabeth Stites, Anastasia Marshak, and Achiba Gargule led a three-day Analysis Workshop in Kenya. The workshop brought together Nawiri partners…Read More