Publications & Other Outputs
Regional Policy Support
- COMESA Policy Framework for Food Security in Pastoralist Areas – Consultative Draft 2009, Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Programme.
- Livestock Marketing in Kenya and Ethiopia: A Review of Policies and Practice. By Yacob Aklilu. October 2008.
- Impact Assessment of the Community Animal Health System in Mandera West District, Kenya. Dr. Gezu Bekele and Dr. Jeremiah Akumu. August 2009.
- Livestock Exports from the Horn of Africa
- Participatory Impact Assessment
- Mind the Gap
- Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards
- Impact Assessment of the Community Animal Health System in Mandera West District, Kenya
Regional Livestock and Pastoralism Policy Training
- Part 1: Livestock, Trade and Economics (PDF)
- Part 2: Mobility Matters (PDF)
- Part 3: Drought, Livelihoods and Food Security (PDF)
- Commodity-based Trade in Livestock Products: New Opportunities for Livestock Trade in the COMESA Region (PDF). May 2008.
- Hidden Value on the Hoof: Cross-Border Livestock Trade in Eastern Africa (PDF). February 2009.
- Income Diversification Among Pastoralists: Lessons for Policy Makers (PDF). March 2009.
- COMESA, Transboundary Animal Diseases and Marketing of Beef (PDF) September 2009.
- The COMESA Green Pass and Commodity-based Trade in Livestock Products (PDF) September 2009.
- Improving Trade in Livestock Commodities by COMESA – The Challenge of Animal Traceability (PDF) October 2009.
- Credible Certification for COMESA – Strategies and Tools (PDF) October 2009.
- Campaigning for the COMESA Green Pass for Livestock Commodities – Who and How? (PDF) October 2009.
- Sustainable Trade in Wildlife Commodities (PDF) November 2009.
- Farming Livestock for Export – What Needs to Change? (PDF) December 2009.
- Promoting Commodity-based Trade – Using the Equivalence Principle (PDF) January 2010.
- Solving the Problem of Residues in Livestock Commodities (PDF) February 2010.
- Modern, Mobile and Profitable: Assessing the Total Economic Value of Pastoralism (PDF) February 2010.
- Legislation to Support Cross-border Livestock Mobility (PDF) February 2010.*Download all the policy briefs in one document* (PDF).
Technical Briefing Papers
- Pastoralists, food security and disaster response: the use of “Preparedness Auditing” to strengthen contingency planning(PDF). May 2009.
- Trigger happy? Signals for timely humanitarian response in pastoralist areas (PDF). May 2009.
- We worked with IIED to develop the book Modern and Mobile, a contemporary review of pastoralism in Africa available as a free download from the IIED website