NewsBack To News
Dan Maxwell and colleagues publish on the Somalia Famine in Food Policy
Dan Maxwell, Nisar Majid, Guhad Adan, Khalif Abdirahman, and Janet Kim published their article “Facing famine: Somali experiences in the famine of 2011” in Food Policy journal December 2016 issue.
Highlights from the article are:
- Somalia experienced the worst famine of the twenty-first century in 2011.
- People’s ability to cope with the famine depended on diversification, mobility and flexibility.
- People’s social connections were instrumental in how well they coped with the famine.
- Social networks functioned differently in famine—and were not always able to sustain members.
- Understanding social connectedness will improve famine prevention and response.
The article is available here.
Upcoming Events View All
21-23 May, 2019 in Moroto, Uganda The Karamoja Resilience Support Unit (KRSU) in Uganda is organizing a regional conference to take stock of recent research in Karamoja, northwest Kenya, and…Read More
Phone: (617) 636-3707