The following are some frequently asked questions about the M.A. in Humanitarian Assistance. If you do not find the answer to your question here, please contact us at

Admissions Criteria

What criteria make an eligible candidate? How many years of experience are necessary to be considered for this program?

More than 2-3 years experience working in the humanitarian field
Must have a bachelors degree
Strong English writing skills

Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)?

No, the GRE is not required.

Do I need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) if I am a non-native English speaker and attended an English-speaking University?

Not as long as English was the primary language of instruction.

What is the minimum TOEFL score required?

Non-native English speakers will succeed if they have sufficient English language ability. A TOEFL score of 100 on the internet-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 600 on the paper-based test is generally considered evidence of sufficient English language ability. Occasionally we will admit a student with a score just below or above 250 but require that the student complete additional language training before enrolling.

If I am a native English speaker or was primarily educated in English , are there any other language requirements?

For students whose native language is English, you must pass a reading and oral foreign language examination before you graduate. (Non-native English speakers who were primarily educated in an English speaking environment may also be required to demonstrate their proficiency in a second language by completing a reading and oral foreign language examination.)

Tuition and Financial Aid

If I am an international student, am I eligible for financial aid?

Non-US citizens cannot be considered for financial aid. You can apply for scholarships.

How can I apply for a scholarship?

Please check the box on the online application if you wish to be considered for a scholarship.

When will I know how much I will receive as a scholarship?

Scholarships will be determined in April once all applicants have been selected. Scholarship aid is distributed on the basis of both need and merit.

What is the cost of the program?

Please visit for the most current information on tuition and other fees. Please note this does not include other expenses you may incur such as transportation, housing, food, clothing, etc.

If I apply and I am accepted into the program and it is determined I do not have the financial capacity to attend, must I reapply in the future?

You may defer for one year and will automatically be enrolled in the program. However, if you were awarded a scholarship, this will not be guaranteed.

Is it possible to pay the tuition bill by credit card?

It is not possible to pay your tuition bill by credit card. It is a question we get asked a lot. The university requires that students pay their bill directly from a bank account. Here is the information that you will need to make a wire transfer:

Wire transfers may be made in US dollars to:

Bank of America
100 W 33^rd Street
New York, NY 10001

ABA: 026009593
Credit to: Trustees of Tufts College
Account: 000054117790
Swift Code: BOFAUS3N
CHIPS: 0959

Along with this information you will want to make sure that you include your name and your student ID number.


I know there is an online application. However, is there a paper application I can complete?

You must complete the online application at If you are having difficulty completing the application, you may contact the Friedman School for assistance at 617-636-3777.

Who should I contact if I am having technical difficulties with the online application?

If you feel that you are having issues with the technology of the application, we encourage you to contact our vendor directly. You may do so by logging into the application and clicking on the ‘help’ button at the top of the application. This will allow you to open up a query and check the status of your query.

I submitted my online application, however, the Fletcher School does not have a record.

You will want to be sure that you have selected to apply to the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy. Our MAHA program is not listed under the Fletcher School, and this is a common error.

In addition to the application, what other materials are required?

Application fee of $70
Academic transcripts from all previously attended institutions
Three letters of recommendation
Personal Statement
Supplemental Essay (1 essay required)
Official TOEFL score (if applicable)

Must the academic transcripts be certified? Do you accept transcripts in a language other than English?

International applicants are asked to provide the official copy of their transcripts in their native language with the university seal along with an official translated copy of their transcript performed by a translating service. As long as you have the transcript with a university seal, that will be acceptable. There are some universities which translate their own transcripts into English and provide the university seal. If your university does not perform this service, I recommend that you send your transcripts to an agency such as or

By what means can I send the $70 application fee?

The online application does not offer an electronic transfer option. Applicants must pay the fee by submitting a bank note or money order. If it is impossible for you to obtain a money order, you may request a fee waiver if due to an economic hardship.

What is the application deadline?

The deadline for application to the MAHA program is February 28th each year.

When will I know if I am accepted into the Program?

You will be notified by email in April.


Is the MAHA program offered online?

Currently the program is only offered on-campus from September-May in Medford/Boston, MA in the U.S.

Can I attend the MAHA program part-time?

Since this is a one-year rigorous program and the courses may change from year to year, it is not possible to attend on a part-time basis.

Can I work during the course of the Academic year?

It is not recommended because the program is very rigorous. However, there may be research assistant positions available throughout the year. This should be discussed with the Academic Director.

What type of housing is available?

On campus residences are not available for MAHA students. Students must locate their own housing. We suggest finding housing closer to the Medford Campus because the rent is more affordable than the Boston housing market. Housing should be set before students arrive in June and July.

Recent News View All

FIC on Flickr View All